Friday, June 7, 2013

Better Rhubarb Pie?

We're about at the end of rhubarb season here in Utah, but just in case you happen to be lucky enough to snag a handful of tart stems and are wondering what you might do with them, I'm going to tempt you into trying what I'm calling a "Better Rhubarb Pie."

Why? Because this recipe comes from grandma, of course, and who else would have a recipe that I could say is BETTER than anything that is already out in this big yonder world?

Yes, I know we all have grandmas.

And we all have favorite recipes from grandmas.

So if you happen to already possess a favorite, better recipe for rhubarb pie from your own grandma, then I'll simply say this: Here Is Another Rhubarb Pie Recipe Worthy of Trying.


Doesn't it look pretty?

And different?

That's because this recipe happens to have a sweet custard base for the filling. Kind of like pudding. Remember Georgie Porgie Pudding and Pie? Ring a bell? No?

Sorry, I digress. Let me just say that these two great tastes go great together. Rest assured, I get yearly requests for this pie from people that are not members of my own family. Some have even crossed state lines for it (at least when I put gooseberries in it, which taste just like rhubarb when they're baked). So, it's good. At least, I have always liked to think so. Enjoy!

Better Rhubarb Pie

3 cups chopped rhubarb
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon cornstarch

Line a 9 inch pie pan with pastry, then set in fridge to keep cool while prepping batter.

Mix eggs, sugar, flour, nutmeg, milk, and cornstarch together in a large bowl. Stir in rhubarb.

Pour batter into the pie shell. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and dot with butter. Cool. Chill. Serve.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! Your comment will appear soon after approval